Vegetarian Lentil Meatballs
Makes 4 - 6 servings • Time: 60 minutes
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, diced finely
- Salt and pepper
- 3 - 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bring water to a boil in a pot, add the lentils. Let it cook for about 20 minutes until the lentils are soft. Remove from the heat to let it cool down.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, crumble in the bread slices, onion, cheese, herbs, chili powder and garlic. Mix the lentils in. Add salt and pepper as required or personal taste.
- In an ovenproof dish, add the olive oil to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Scoop the mixture into golf ball-sized balls. Press each ball slightly to compact the mixture. This will prevent it from falling apart.
- Put it into the oven for about 30 minutes. Halfway through, turn the meatballs.
- Put the oven on grill, turn the meatballs again and roast it for another 5 - 10 minutes until nice and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Marna's handy tips
- Serve with a fresh garden salad for a healthy, nutritious meal. It pairs well with plain mayonnaise, pesto, or any dressing!
- The flavor increases over time, so you can make them a day before you want to serve them for enhanced, yummy flavor!
- The lentil-balls freeze very well: So make extra and keep them in your freezer! Then you can just defrost it for a lazy, easy dinner.
For more inspiration and cooking tips, you can get your Easy Wholesome Recipes E-book here!